Public Relations Specialist
Markstein, a fully-integrated communications agency located in Birmingham, Ala., is seeking a public relations and earned media specialist with 2-4 years of experience. The candidate must be a self-starter who is comfortable working on a team within a multi-faceted and fast-paced environment. The candidate must possess a strong working knowledge of media pitching, drafting external communications and developing organic content for integrated campaigns. Our ideal candidate will have earned media experience at the local, regional, national and trade levels and public relations experience across multiple industries. Public relations agency experience preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in public relations and earned media
- Proven track record of securing media coverage locally and nationally
- Experience crafting targeted pitches that rise above the noise for reporters; comfortable pitching digitally and verbally (via phone)
- Proven knowledge of building strong relationships with reporters/outlets
- Ability to build hyper-targeted media lists for local, regional, national and trade outlets
- Knowledge of and ability to use Cision or similar media software for monitoring and building media lists
- Experience crafting press releases, media advisories, media statements, etc.
- Experience facilitating interviews between reporters and clients via phone, email, Zoom or broadcast
- Experience obtaining press coverage for events and managing media members at events, press conferences, etc.
- Ability to stay up to date on different client industries, keenly aware of important topics and issues for each
- Ability to craft short- and long-form content (quotes, releases, statements, blogs, etc.) in various clients’ voices
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Self-motivated go-getter with a positive attitude
- Exhibits strong attention to detail and organization
- Deadline-oriented and shows initiative in taking on new tasks and projects
- Is able to seek out information and solutions to problems
- Serves as an active team player who demonstrates a commitment to excellence and ensuring client satisfaction
- Work with account management to craft media relations strategies, advising on best tactics, timing, etc.
- Pitch media (via email and by phone) and build relationships with reporters
- Build media lists and craft pitches; work with targeted media on story development while handling media inquiries and facilitating communication between media and clients
- Write and distribute communications materials including press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, bios, newsletters, prepared remarks, etc.
- Monitor for media coverage and deliver client-ready media coverage reports
- Draft organic content for clients to support integrated public relations campaign
- Monitor each client’s business and industry
- Identify and secure corporate and executive positioning opportunities
- Organize and manage media events and client promotions
- Represent client at events or trade shows
- Compile and analyze research data
- Assist in the research and preparation for new business pitches
The Markstein team is currently working remotely. Exceptional candidates from geographies outside of our office footprint will be considered. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Markstein prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Markstein conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Job posted: 2021-01-11