Senior Government Relations Associate
About the job
The American Flood Coalition is a nonpartisan group of more than 250 elected officials, local leaders, military groups, and businesses that have come together to advocate for national solutions to sea level rise and flooding. The Coalition advances resilient solutions that support adaptation and recovery in flood-affected communities and protect our nation’s residents, economy, and military installations. With a uniquely singular focus on flooding and sea level rise, a creative approach to finding solutions, and deep analysis & partnerships which leverage existing efforts, the Coalition seeks to significantly improve how communities around the country adapt to flooding and sea level rise.
We are seeking an experienced and networked legislative staffer to join our growing Policy & Government Relations Team, which is responsible for advocating on behalf of our coalition on Capitol Hill, leading the way in establishing new relationships at the federal level, and tracking the development and progress of legislation. The ideal candidate will be a driven self-starter with a strong understanding of the federal legislative process, outstanding interpersonal skills, a thirst for knowledge, and a desire to apply their experience to grow our coalition. If you want to work alongside immensely passionate and talented people, who are intent on helping flood-affected communities to adapt and thrive, we want to talk to you. This is a full-time position reporting to our Director of Government Relations and located in our headquarters in Washington, DC; however, this role will be remote until we transition back to our office, which is currently closed for the safety of our staff due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represent and articulate our mission on Capitol Hill by independently attending meetings and conducting outreach to Members of Congress and congressional staff
- Monitor the Hill in order to track the status of legislative efforts and maintain awareness of relevant ongoing policy priorities, hearings, briefings, etc.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with motivated stakeholders, both on and off Capitol Hill, to broaden our reach and impact
- Conduct impactful research to aid the expansion of our legislative portfolios
- Prepare substantive policy materials, including assisting in the crafting of letters to the Administration, federal agencies, and Congress, as well as drafting issue briefs, fact sheets, talking points, and social media posts to persuade and inform our diverse audiences
- Support colleagues and junior staff, within and outside of the Policy & Government Relations team, to propel others to accomplish their goals and strengthen their skills
- 4+ years of hands-on of federal public policy experience (e.g. attending hearings, drafting legislation, monitoring the federal legislative process) and government relations experience (e.g. leading meetings with agency or congressional staff, developing new relationships)
- Background working in federal legislative or administrative office, government relations firm, or similar environment with demonstrated ability to conduct research, develop federal policy, and communicate legislative priorities
- Excellent interpersonal & relationship-building skills, with an aptitude for understanding perspectives, delivering effective messages to varying audiences, and fostering relationships
- Skilled at remaining collected and maintaining good judgment in a fast-paced environment while planning and executing multiple projects in an organized fashion
- Highly process-driven workstyle, with ability to create structure to accomplish goals efficiently
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Highly competitive compensation
- Generous and flexible PTO
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability, as well as basic life insurance and other voluntary benefits
- 401(k) Plan
- Relocation assistance (for candidates currently living outside of the DC metropolitan area)
We also offer:
- Company sponsored outings such as Friday happy hours, breakfast meetings, after-work socials & activities, an annual holiday party, and more
- A modern office with amenities including lots of snacks, business casual dress code, gym access, and a collaborative floor plan with options to suit every workstyle
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
The American Flood Coalition is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates with unique backgrounds and strive to create and maintain an environment that is inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
Job posted: 2020-12-23