Senior Policy Advocate
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is a research and advocacy organization working to reverse today’s extreme levels of corporate concentration and advance policies to expand the power of people and communities to direct their own future. We produce research, develop policy ideas, and partner closely with a wide range of allies to advance these ideas and move legislation. Our analysis is frequently featured in national news media and sought out by policymakers.
ILSR is looking for a Senior Policy Advocate to join a team within ILSR focused on winning changes in public policy to check the economic and political power of monopolies, level the playing field for small independent businesses, build thriving communities, and create an equitable, racially just democracy (https://ilsr.org/independent-business/). This position can be remote, but we’d prefer a candidate in or near Washington, D.C.
In this role you will play a pivotal role in the team’s work with its coalition partners to break up Amazon and other tech giants; enact change in antitrust, banking, and other policies to reverse corporate concentration; and expand the collective power of working people and small businesses.
Job responsibilities include:
- Develop and execute strategies to engage and influence policymakers.
- Work closely with our coalition partners and allied organizations to advance our shared goals, and develop and maintain relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Produce issue briefs, op-eds, calls-to-action, and other written materials that illuminate the issues and motivate action.
- Supervise the work of a small business organizer.
- Organize occasional convenings and events.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the policy approaches needed to reverse corporate consolidation, redress economic and racial inequality, and strengthen local independent businesses, including changes in antitrust, banking, tax, and land use policy.
- Track legislative and policy developments, and identify opportunities to advance our ideas and policy goals.
- Collaborate with the team’s researchers and communications staff to develop multi-faceted strategies for moving ideas and policies.
A successful candidate is:
- Experienced in engaging policymakers and knowledgeable about the workings of Congress.
- An excellent verbal communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills and a genuine enjoyment of collaboration.
- A strong writer with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- A strong analytic thinker and strategist.
- Scrupulously attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance.
- A skilled manager of time and details, and self-starter, with the ability to manage multiple short- and long-term projects simultaneously.
- Passionate about the ILSR’s mission of fighting back against the outsized power of corporate monopolies and building the power of citizens and communities to direct their own future.
- Five or more years of experience in policy advocacy.
- Expertise in antitrust or other relevant policy areas is a plus.
- A bachelor’s degree.
Salary Range: $55,000 to $75,000 annually depending on experience and location.
Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan (family coverage, low deductible, you pay no premiums), generous vacation and holiday leave, and retirement contribution matching. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. ILSR takes professional growth seriously.
ILSR is deeply committed to equity and inclusion. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and we strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, women, non-binary candidates, and LGBTQIA+ candidates to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter addressed to Stacy Mitchell, résumé, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The cover letter should be no longer than 400 words and the writing samples no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF. The subject line of the email should say “Application for Senior Policy Advocate.” Applications will be accepted at least through September 21st and on a rolling basis after that date until the position is filled. Check ILSR’s website for updated information.
Job posted: 2020-09-10