Vice President, Government Relations
Job Title: Vice President, Government Relations
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President for Policy and Planning
Job Summary: ASHP is the 50,000 member professional organization representing pharmacists who serve as patient care providers in hospitals and health systems. The Vice President of Government Relations is a high-energy, proactive, action-oriented, results and metrics-driven leader who serves as ASHP’s top government relations executive accountable for planning and leading the organizations comprehensive and dynamic advocacy program, including efforts directed at the United States Congress, Executive Branch Agencies, White House, and state government. The Vice President of Government Relations also serves as an integral member on ASHP’s Senior Leadership Team, and will be involved in conceptualizing and executing the organization’s broad-based membership and business interests in support of ASHP’s membership mission.
- Serves as ASHP’s top government relations professional and representative.
- Possesses and cultivates trusting and enduring relationships with elected officials and their staff, political appointees, senior civil servants, and key individuals in relevant private sector organizations.
- Leads the development and execution of ASHP’s advocacy priorities and can effectively operate in dynamic external and organizational environments.
- Serves as a highly-engaged and inspirational leader and manager of ASHP Government Relations team.
- Leads and fosters the growth of the ASHP Political Action Committee (PAC).
- Uses contemporary technology, data, and performance metrics to drive successful advocacy outcomes.
- Serves as an integral member of ASHP’s Senior Leadership Team.
- Supports the effective, timely, and ongoing communication of ASHP’s advocacy priorities to ASHP members, media, and a wide- array of stakeholders.
- Responsible for developing and managing the Government Relations Office budget.
- Maintains compliance with all relevant state and federal laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs government relations strategy, lobbying, and advocacy on issues of strategic importance to ASHP at the federal and state levels.
- Sets strategic direction and develops proactive, effective, and best-practice driven approaches to achieving ASHP’s advocacy priorities.
- Maintains and seeks to consistently grow the ASHP Political Action Committee (PAC), and ensures compliance with all laws and regulations governing PACs.
- Conducts and coordinates ongoing environmental scanning to ensure that ASHP is proactively addressing current and emerging public policy issues that impact the practice of pharmacy in hospitals and health systems.
- Ensures that ASHP’s advocacy initiatives are proactively and consistently communicated through various channels to ASHP members and other key stakeholders.
- Serves as a media spokesperson on public policy issues.
- Gives presentations to various groups.
- Leads, manages, develops, and/or participates in various coalitions.
- Serves as a member of the ASHP Senior Leadership Team.
- Coordinates legislative fly-ins, grassroots campaigns, and grasstops initiatives.
- Serves as a resource to ASHP members and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Professional Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Graduate degree preferred.
Job Experience (Years and Type):
- Minimum 15+ years of government relations experience in Washington as a government executive, Congressional staffer or as a senior public servant in a healthcare-related government department, agency or business, or trade or professional association (serving at or above the Vice President level).
- Must have meaningful relationships with elected officials, senior government staff, and access to senior personnel of key government agencies.
- Exceptional interpersonal and diplomatic skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to work as a member of a highly-functional team required.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills required.
- Media relations experience required.
- A deep understanding of contemporary advocacy communications strategies and tactics required.
- Expertise in healthcare-related public policy required.
- Knowledge of federal drug law and pharmacy practice desired.
- Proven ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and function effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Significant experience in PAC-related activities required.
- Unimpeachable integrity and ethical standards.
- Exceptional interpersonal and diplomatic skills, emotional intelligence, and judgement.
- Inspirational and visionary leadership and management skills.
- Strong desire and ability to lead and work on teams.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability and desire to be a strong servant leader in support of ASHP’s vision and membership mission.
- Significant experience utilizing various digital applications (e.g., Social media, web, grassroots software) and print communications).
- Proven experience working with various databases and software applications (e.g., Aristotle, Politico Pro, Cision, Vocus) to support government relations efforts.
- Exceptional skills and experience with preparing and giving presentations to groups of all sizes.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
To apply, please click the following link: http://ashp.balancetrak.com
Job posted: 2019-01-23