Vice President, Regulatory Affairs
CPower is a dynamic energy management company with a national footprint in multiple markets across the country based in Baltimore, MD. We create optimized energy management strategies that allow businesses to streamline their energy usage, generate revenues and offset costs through energy and capacity markets participation, and ultimately help our clients achieve their sustainability, resiliency, and financial goals. CPower has experienced significant growth since 2014 through the combination of organic development and acquisitions and are uniquely positioned to leverage our status as an industry leader to accelerate our growth via new and differentiated offerings and the expansion into new markets. Currently, CPower operates in all our nation’s open energy markets, throughout regulated utilities, and is a leading provider of demand response and related programs. We never stop working to ensure our customers get the maximized results they deserve. We are entering into our sixth year, but we have a rich history in the demand response industry going back 30 years.
Depending on the level of experience, we are looking for a Director or Vice President, Regulatory Affairs in the PJM area that will continue the thriving demand response programs and help CPower maintain its role as a leader in the energy management industry.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Advocates for policies and regulations that promote the interests of CPower. Develops policies and strategies for gaining approval by regulators. Key regulators include the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Regional Transmission Organizations (RTO) and State regulators and legislators. The key focus is on regulations and market rules that enable demand response and distributed energy resources at wholesale and retail levels. Rules that support full utilization of customer resources via demand response will enhance profitability.
- Develops and manages policy and advocacy for issues that span national interests and multiple regions and may oversee new regional market development as well as specific regional markets.
- Leads the regulatory effort in PJM RTO.
- Coordinates with Sales, Legal, Operations, Pricing and Marketing to ensure all capabilities are developed and in place to sell and deliver CPower’s DR and DER products (such as development of contract, creation of process flow materials and development of marketing collateral).
- Coordinates with regulatory and compliance functions to monitor ongoing regulatory and legal developments impacting DR programs. Support initiatives to ensure ongoing compliance with market rules and regulations.
- Informs management and operations of regulatory developments. Assess business threats and opportunities. Prepare summaries of activity and reports for management review. Seek management approval for recommended strategies.
- Advocates for development of market opportunities for the company in non-RTO markets through advocacy with state commissions, legislatures and utilities. Leverage industry associations to amplify advocacy.
- Advocates for state regulations in RTO markets that advance CPower interests.
- Provides direct or provide guidance for colleagues engaged in state advocacy.
- Manages state policy initiatives.
- Manages regulatory affairs staff assignments.
Internal Management and Product Support:
- Provides input on capacity auction bidding strategy for CPower’s portfolios for future years.
- Advises on development of compliance programs.
- Assists in the development of the business case for new DR products tied to DR programs offered within the PJM control area by PJM utilities or governmental agencies.
- Evaluates CPower’s position relative to competition, including products, business model, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Supports the development of budgets and financial forecasts to accurately project future revenues, collateral requirements, and external payments.
- Supports the development, implementation, and enforcement of internal risk management and mitigation strategies.
- Advocates for demand resources with RTOs, regulators and other stakeholders. Identify other like-minded entities and coordinate activity to advance common interests. Make presentations supporting the company’s goals
- Manages relationships with external consultants for regulatory and market research updates and validation.
- Bachelor’s degree (engineering, science/technical, or management field preferred but not required),
- Director – A minimum 10 years’ experience in energy or related industries. Experience in writing regulatory filings.
- Vice President – A minimum of 15 years’ experience in energy and government affairs.
- Ability to understand complicated power pool rules and communicate essential elements. Able to coordinate a technical product implementation involving many internal departments.
- Ability to understand ISO capacity auction rules and support development of bidding strategies.
- Ability to team with other internal departments and external stakeholders to reach a common goal.
- Experience working with external stakeholders to advance business interests.
Unique opportunity to work at a successful, growing company with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. We focus heavily on developing our employees and linking successes to our core values. CPower offers a great benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401K, vacation, etc. CPower’s leadership prides itself on maintaining a rewarding culture, and always striving to offer a great team-member experience.
CPower is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-29