Vice President External Relations
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
If you have a track record as a world class external relations executive, then we want to talk to you about an incredible opportunity to work with the Institute’s President and leadership team. We are looking for someone with a passion for our mission, who is able to drive our strategy for demonstrating to Congress, the Executive Branch, and the American people how the Institute reduces and prevents violent conflict around the world in support of U.S. national security interests.
The Vice President for External Relations will advance the Institute’s mission by increasing the reach and impact of the Institute’s work: enhancing its overall reputation for excellence and expertise, strengthening relationships with key audiences and partners, raising the visibility of USIP leaders and experts and shaping the Institute’s public image both in the United States and overseas.
The Vice President is a member of the USIP senior management team and reports to the President. The Vice President oversees a large team that is responsible for key strategic functions, including congressional relations, development, public education, public affairs and communications and publications. This group is accountable for USIP’s profile on Capitol Hill, in the press, among policy makers and the foreign policy community, and across the U.S. and beyond
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Executive Schedule Level IV / III: $150,000 – $174,000
Offers of employment are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity and amount budgeted for the position.
- Serve as the senior strategic advisor and lead on public affairs initiatives to the President.
- Raise the profile of USIP in the United States and abroad through traditional news media, public events, social media and other communications outlets, as well as public outreach.
- Lead an effective Congressional relations implementation strategy to ensure strong, long-term support for USIP on Capitol Hill.
- Oversee and update USIP branding, public outreach materials and graphic standards.
- Strengthen and deepen the connections to key audiences, including political leaders, international and regional collaborators, public organizations and partners, and develop and lead efforts to expand USIP’s reach to new strategic audiences.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Master’s degree in international affairs, political science, conflict studies or related field highly desirable;
- A minimum of 15 years of strategic communication experience including public relations, policy coordination, Congressional or intergovernmental affairs is required;
- Capitol Hill experience highly desirable;
- A keen understanding of the Institute’s mission as well as the political and international dynamics that affect USIP’s work is required;
- Knowledge of and comfort with media audiences, policymakers, government officials and experts in the foreign policy field;
- Demonstrated stature, gravitas and confidence needed to gain the respect of key media consumers is required;
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills; and
- Proven ability to think strategically, work collaboratively and maintain humor and grace under pressure.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For questions about this position please email email@example.com. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-01