The Democracy Initiative (DI) is a dynamic network of 69 grassroots organizations working collaboratively to create a vibrant future in which all Americans participate fully and freely in the democratic process. We believe that the collective voices voters, brown, black, and working class, should drive and shape public policy across this country, not the flood of corporate money or interests of a wealthy few.
The Democracy Initiative Education Fund (DIEF) is a national, nonpartisan research and education organization committed to building a vibrant democracy. DIEF’s core activities include public education and research aimed at boosting civic engagement and preserving and improving our democracy.
The Communications Strategist is a senior role within the DI leadership team. They are responsible for creating and driving a national communications plan to build the democracy movement. This includes communicating on behalf of the DI, as well as galvanizing our partners to speak with one voice on issues in democracy reform. This position will develop and drive shared media and messaging strategies and multi-organizational campaigns. The Communications Strategist position reports to the Executive Director and works closely with communications teams at DI partner organizations.
The ideal candidate is a change agent with direct experience and/or demonstrated commitment to progressive policy change and brings either prior history or a desire to learn the issues and organizations working in the democracy field. Candidates should have a minimum of 6-10 years of work in strategic communications, including experience in issue advocacy and grassroots campaign communications. They must also have a proven track record of managing complex, fast-paced projects, especially in coalitions or network-centric organizations. Experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans that focus on influencing national debates is essential, as is a strong background in social and digital platforms and strategies.
The Democracy Initiative’s approach to communications is grounded in movement building. We see communications as a tool to engage people and influence the national debate on democracy reforms. We believe our role is to shift the national discourse and equip partner organizations with tools to engage in national discussion on our democracy. Our ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and a self-starter with excellent writing skills, the ability to communicate with diverse audiences, a knack for storytelling, and a sense of humor.
- Develop compelling messaging and communication templates for campaign issues, providing opportunities for DI member groups to co-create along the way.
- Coordinate with key organizations to develop branded campaigns that move the message around democracy, including digital and earned media, events, and rapid response.
- Draft timely and effective talking points, messaging tips, op-eds and letters-to-the-editor in response to breaking news developments or ahead of known media opportunit
- Build relationships with key reporters, bloggers and allies including drafting press releases, blog posts, website content, and periodic communications with allies and supporte
- Support the communications and education capacity of groups within the DI network at the national and local level. Co-create materials that further the ability of DI organizations to speak to their members about democracy issue
- Develop systems for testing communications efforts, obtain and process insights to ensure continued improve
- Manage website content for the DI and DIEF
- Other duties as assigne
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 6-10 years professional experience
- A proven track record executing a plan in a fast-paced, multi-faceted workload, ideally involving media and communicatio
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assign
- Very strong writing, editing, communications and presentation skills, with an understanding of the art of persuasion.
- A creative and strategic ability to frame ideas, develop stories and synthesize complex policy issues in a way that appeals to everyday people.
- Demonstrated commitment to the issues outlined above and a minimum of six years of experience working in communications strategy, community or political organizing, campaigns, or all of the above. A strong sense of teamwork, creativity and ambition to create a better world for all.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with varying levels of organization staff, clients, contractors, foundations and the me
- Experience monitoring and analyzing news coverage, writing press materials, developing media strategies and/or pitching
- Knowledge of print, broadcast and electronic/digital media.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Knowledge of WordPress and Action Network is a plus.
The Democracy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment.
Salary Range $65,000 – $75,000 Excellent benefit package.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note in the subject line the specific position for which you are applying.
Job posted: 2019-02-11